Applying specific principles within the ITIL V3 life-cycle to Application Support, the prescribed outcomes of ITIL V3 can now be realized with certainty and speed.
As IT professionals our shared goal should not be to simply to embrace the latest standards and techniques – but instead, to drive measurable results in cost reductions and improvements of service quality to business constituents. With a life-cycle, outcome-based approach to service delivery, we can consistently deliver hard benefits to our companies and customers:
- Significant improvements in service performance defined by metrics and service level goals
- Dramatic improvement in the quality of delivered services and performed work
- Significant improvement in application support team performance (for example, throughput of work, reduction in request backlogs)
- Improved relationship between the IT organization and business users
- Typically, 30% to 50% reduction of application support costs.
These articles are designed to illustrate how to use the ITIL V3 service management lifecycle approach for managing the application support services as well as any other IT service function.
These articles provide a road-map for improving Application Support and for implementing ITIL V3 service management “Best Practices”. It is hoped that through these articles that the reader will gain a better understanding of ITIL V3, its processes, its outcomes, and its practical implementation for IT application support services.